Thursday 29 March 2018

A Caspian Gull at Stoney Cove

Most mornings I have a quick look if there is anything on the water or cliffs at Stoney Cove. During the winter there are always Black-headed and Common Gulls on the water and occasionally a few Lesser Black-backed Gulls. On Wednesday I noticed a pale looking largish gull on one on the buoys. Checking it out I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a first-winter Caspian Gull. I had no camera and so I just enjoyed watching it. After five minutes it flew off heading roughly north-east.

After work this evening I noticed that the same gull was back on the buoy. It was raining heavily, but I managed to get some digiscoped shots.

This is the first occurrence of this species at the Cove. Hopefully I'll get a chance to photograph it in better weather.

First-Winter Caspian Gull, Stoney Cove 29/03/18



1 comment: