Saturday 17 December 2016

Caspian Gulls and Other Stuff

Today was another dull day at Shawell, but the sun was shinning when I called in for my lunch break mid-week. Whilst I was eating my sandwiches the gulls were enjoying a splash about. One of the nearest gulls was an adult Caspian Gull, so I took lots of photos of it. The light was a bit harsh, but some of my digiscoped efforts turned out OK.

Adult Caspian Gull, Shawell 14/12/16

Adult Caspian Gull, Shawell 14/12/16

Today I saw five different Caspian Gull at the Shawell. One was a bird I have seen three winters in a row now, but the others were not so distinctive. Many of the Caspian Gulls return to Shawell year after year. It is not always easy to know whether I have seen them before without a colour-ring to help, however. I managed to photograph three of today's Caspian Gulls. The light was really awful, so photography was quite a challenge.

Adult Caspian Gull, Shawell 17/12/16

Adult Caspian Gull, Shawell 17/12/16
Adult Caspian Gull, Shawell 17/12/16


A Herring Gull that was ringed in Finland reappeared today. I have now recorded it three winters in a row at Shawell. It is a yellow legged individual with lovely long wings.

Finnish Ringed Herring Gull (C02CN)

I also saw a Lesser Black-backed Gull that I first saw back in 2013. This one was ringed as a breeding adult on the Isle of May, Scotland in 1991, so it is over 30 years old. It colour-rings are wearing out, the green one with the white letter M has migrated up its leg and the orange and red uncoded rings have broken up and become one ring.

Adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, Shawell 17/12/16. Ringed on the Isle of May as an Adult in 1991



No comments:

Post a Comment