Saturday 18 January 2014

White-wingers at Shawell

I was hoping to see at least one 'white-winged' gull today, as there had been quite a few around the Midlands during the week. I went to the landfill site first and it didn't take me long to spot a Glaucous Gull. The light was quite poor, but I managed to get a few images of it. Ageing it isn't that easy but it looks like a second-winter. Its eyes are starting to look pale and the bill tip is no longer black. The plumage could match either age, but the plain mantle favours second-winter. 

Later it was at the A5 Lagoons where it showed well as it preened.

Glaucous Gull

Shortly after finding the Glaucous Gull, I spotted a second-winter Iceland Gull.
It also appeared at the A5 Lagoons during the afternoon and enthralled Dave Gray, Steve Nicholls and myself as it did several fly pasts. 

Second-winter Iceland Gull
Second-winter Iceland Gull
As well as the 'white-wingers', I also found a couple of Caspian Gulls - an adult and a second-winter.

Adult Caspian Gull
Second-winter Caspian Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment