Thursday 5 April 2012

Keep Searching

Before setting off to Scotland, I asked a friend to email me if there were any reports of 'white winged gulls' within a sensible driving distance of Aviemore. I did receive an email and he told me to head to Peterhead. It is approximately 130 miles to Peterhead from Aviemore, but I decided to go for it. I stopped off at Fraserburgh Harbour on the way and after a bit of searching I located three Iceland Gulls (an adult and two 2nd-winters) plus a 2nd-winter Glaucous Gull. Two of the Iceland Gulls came down to feed on bread, but the other one had obviously already eaten and didn't bother.
Adult Iceland Gull, Fraserburgh, February 9th 2012
2nd-winter Iceland Gull, Fraserburgh, February 9th 2012
Adult Iceland Gull, Fraserburgh, February 2012
I Must Stop Scratching My Nose
It wasn't just the gulls that enjoyed my bread.

2nd-winter Iceland Gull, Fraserburgh
After an hour or so, I left Fraserburgh and made my way to Peterhead. It was raining heavily, so I was lucky to find an assorted group of 'white wingers' right by the harbour wall and viewable from my car. I did, however, manage to flatten my car battery using the electric windows with the engine off. Fortunately the road ran slightly down hill, so I was able to bump start the car on my own. 
2nd-winter Iceland Gull, Peterhead, February 9th 2012
Sub-adult Iceland Gull, Peterhead, February 9th 2012
3rd-winter Iceland Gull, Peterhead, February 9th 2012
As well as the Iceland Gulls, three Glaucous Gulls were loafing about on the rocks in front of me.
2nd-winter Glaucous Gull, Peterhead, February 9th 2012
2nd-winter Glaucous Gull, Peterhead, February 9th 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment