Saturday 29 December 2018

Another Glaucous Gull at Shawell

An adult Glaucous Gull roosted at Draycote Water last night, so I was hoping that it would put in an appearance at Shawell today. There were so many gulls that it was difficult to know where to look. I called for reinforcements and Steve Nichols answered my call. Together we searched until eventually we spotted the adult having a wash and brush up.

Adult Glaucous Gull, Shawell, December 29th 2018



Amongst thousands of Herring Gulls I located 14 Caspian Gulls including some handsome adults.

Whilst packing away to leave, I spotted a 'white-winger' amongst a flock of gulls that had come from the tipping area. It was the second-winter Glaucous Gull that I saw yesterday. The uneven primaries help to age it as a second-winter - a juvenile would have uniform primaries. Yesterday I saw that its eyes were becoming pale.


No comments:

Post a Comment