Saturday 3 February 2018

A New Glaucous Gull and Some More Caspian Gulls

First of all can I make a complaint - why does it have to rain every Saturday?

Despite the weather I was not put off and after arranging a passage through the massive plant machinery, operating by my access point, I was set for a good days gulling.

21 colour-ring readings today.

The highlight amongst the gulls was a new juvenile Glaucous. This one was a real beast of a bird and it got involved with a tug of war competition with a couple of Great Black-backed Gulls. It was every bit as massive as its two antagonists.


I thought I was going to be empty handed as far as Caspian Gulls today, but then in a ten minute flurry I saw three - two first-winters and a second-winter.

Below is a video of some recent sightings of Caspian Gulls.



No comments:

Post a Comment