Monday 29 August 2016

Colour Ring reading Extravaganza

A slight repeat of my last post but I am pleased with these latest images. 

Last week saw unprecedented numbers of Lesser Black-backed Gulls in the Shawell area. At least 5000 were present many of which were intermedius from Norway. I read over 80 colour rings in total including many from Norway.

As well as the LBBGs I also saw a couple of Caspian Gulls with colour-rings - one from Germany and another from Poland.

PDXS put in another visit yesterday and I managed to get some better images. She was ringed as a chick in 2012 in southern Poland. 

Female Caspian Gull PKXS From Poland
German Ringed LBBG HXJ60

Yesterday, because there was no one around I managed to sneak up quite close to the gulls. I am not usually spoiled like this and have to accept that photography is very difficult at the site.

As well as the gulls I enjoyed good views of a Marsh Harrier. Unlike the Buzzards the gulls were not frightened and they gave it a real beating. No photograph but Chris Wiltshier was there to witness the sighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment