Wednesday 31 December 2014

Colour-ringed Caspian Gull Update - Red 16P4

The Polish Bird Ringing Centre has replied very quickly to my report of the red colour-ringed Caspian Gull. It was colour-ringed as a chick on May 15th this year near Paczkow, Poland. Interestingly it was sighted by Reinhard Kunow on August 27th at Sierksdorf, Germany.


29/12/14
Shawell A5
Caspian Gull, 1CY
Pullus
DN 31216
Red
16P4
Polish Bird Ringing Centre.  Jacek Betleja
POL
ZB.KOZIELNO, PACZKÓW,
Poland
15/05/14
Sighted at Sierksdorf, Germany on 27/08/14 Reinhard Kunow


The Journey So far of Caspian Gull Red 16P4 

Reinhard managed to photograph it when it stopped off in Germany - see below.



Juvenile Caspian Gull, Red 16P4, August 2014 - Photo Taken by Reinhard Kunow

I mentioned in my previous post that it was difficult to read the colour-ring, basically red and white rings can be difficult to read at distance especially when the white gets dirty. I was pretty happy that I had read it correctly and I did write 16P4 eventually in my notepad although at first I wrote 1GP4. Playing around in photoshop I could see that it was a 6 rather than a G - see below.


Lots of Playing in Photoshop Eventually Showed up the Code- Oh For Close Views
Another Image of red 16P4 AT Shawell A5 Lagoons


No comments:

Post a Comment