Saturday 6 July 2013

Out West

I'm feeling a bit weary as I type this. I may have had one too many cold ones whilst taking charge of sausage and burger cooking / burning.  

Three cheers for the barbecue weather at long last and of course to the British & Irish Lions for their series clinching win today against Australia.

On my way to purchase the beer for tonight, I somehow found myself in the far west of the county looking for Corn Buntings. I was in for a treat as I found no fewer than six pairs and some of them were taking food to what I can only presume were nests with young in them. The only negative was not being able to find any around Orton-on-the-Hill again.

Corn Bunting

I also had a walk along the Ashby canal near Dadlington where small numbers of damselflies were present including at least 20 White-legged Damselflies. The first one to pose was almost a legless White-legged Damselfly.

 White-legged Damselfly

White-legged Damselfly
A few dragonflies were also present, but numbers were low. The Four-spotted Chaser below was the most obliging.

Four-spotted Chaser

No comments:

Post a Comment