Thursday 24 July 2014

Another Juvenile Yellow-legged Gull

A visit to Shawell A5 Lagoons tonight produced another juvenile Yellow-legged Gull. This one was different to the one I wrote about in my last post - there are differences in the pattern on the greater coverts. Again the same features are present: whitish head contrasting with its back and wings, a dark mask around the eyes, heavy all black bill and dark white edged tertials. Many of the Lesser Black-backed Gull juveniles are still begging food from the adults and are obviously browner headed and have smaller bills.

Juvenile Yellow-legged Gull
I noticed a dead animal on the A5 near where I watch the gulls and on inspection it appears to be a Polecat. I'm no expert on separating Ferrets from Polecats, so I welcome any opinions.


1 comment:

  1. I contacted the Vincent Wildlife Trust who are doing survey work on Polecats this year and I received this reply: Many thanks for reporting this to us. This animal is indeed a polecat and looks like a true polecat.

    ReplyDelete