Saturday 16 February 2013

Glaucous Gull

I was feeling a bit downbeat late last night when I noticed that the BBC were forecasting fog until lunchtime for the next day. I woke up early, mainly because my stomach was doing overtime on the Mexican meal I'd eaten the night before. There was no sign of the fog, so I packed my kit bag and set of to Shawell. 

Luckily the fog never materialised, instead the conditions were perfect.

From my vantage point overlooking the Cotesbach Landfill site I could see a massive gathering of gulls. It was disappointing not to find any 'white wingers'. Then a small group flew past and amongst them was what appeared to be an adult Glaucous Gull. Through my bins its large size, white wing tips, obvious barrel chest and short broad wings were all clear to see. 

Many of the gulls started to head away from the landfill site towards the A5 Lagoons, so it was time to join them. I soon relocated the Glaucous Gull on the long rectangular lagoon. 

Luckily I was able to share this Arctic wanderer with Andy Forryan and Garsham Roberts.


Glaucous Gull
Closer views revealed a flesh coloured bill with dark markings on both mandibles. This suggests that the bird is a 4th-winter rather than an adult.

4th-winter Glaucous Gull
This is the third 'white winger' I have found this winter in the area: a juvenile Glaucous Gull in December and a juvenile Iceland Gull last Saturday.

While I was busy photographing the big fella, Andy found a couple of Yellow-legged Gulls and a 1st-winter Caspian Gull. Later on I found two more 1st-winter Caspian Gulls and a 3rd winter. The three 1st-winter Casps had different bill markings: one all black, one had a pale tip and the other had a pale ridge to the upper mandible.

Below is selection of Caspian Gulls seen at either the Shawell A5 Lagoons or the nearby landfill site during the last ten days:

2nd-winter Caspian Gull
2nd-winter Caspian Gull (large male)
1st-winter Caspian Gull


Same as Above
1st-winter Caspian Gull


Same as Above
Caspian Gulls are out numbering the Yellow-legged Gulls at present, but there are still a few around like the 2nd-winter below:

2nd-winter Yellow-legged Gull

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Carl, will try and get to Shawell this for a bit of Gull watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey Carl you really have got your eye in on these immature gulls. I haven't seen a Caspian Gull since 1999 (and I've only ever seen 2!), the species has NEVER occurred in Cumbria - plus Yellow-legged Gull is a very rare bird in Cumbria too and I've only seen 2 or 3 of them up here. Your Glauc looks like an absolute monster! It would be good to come down and have a weekend with you next winter so you can show me some Caspians, seems like you're 'the man'!

    ReplyDelete