Saturday 27 January 2018

Juvenile Iceland Gull

It was bitter cold at Shawell this morning and very damp.

I persevered until just after lunch, but I was on my last pair of dry gloves by then and the gulls were dispersing, so I gave it best.

There was no rubbish tipping going on, so the gulls were a bit erratic in their appearances on the tip. Nevertheless I had a couple of nice Caspian Gulls including a belter of a second-winter. That one kept moving, so no pics, but a 'short-billed' adult was better behaved.

I moved round to the sand quarry, viewed from Gibbet Lane, and a juvenile Iceland Gull dropped in. At first I thought it was the bird I saw on January 6th, but its markings are different, so I believe it is a new one. A first-winter Caspian Gull was close by making it three for the day.

You can see an update on all the 'white-wingers' seen at Shawell so far by clicking HERE

Juvenile Iceland Gull
Adult Caspian Gull





No comments:

Post a Comment