Sunday 27 March 2016

Rutland Osprey Returns to Manton Bay

Succesful migration from Africa as Rutland Osprey Returns to Manton Bay

I went to Rutland Water to hopefully catch up with the long staying Long-billed Dowitcher. Luckily it was still there and showing well although it was a little distant.

Long-billed Dowitcher Rutland Water
Long-billed Dowitcher, Rutland Water
After finishing on the Egleton Reserve, I decided to go and look for an Osprey in Manton Bay. From the Osprey hide at the Lyndon Reserve I could see an Osprey by the nest. The volunteer in the hide told me it was the regular, un-ringed, breeding female. He also told me that her mate hadn't arrived back from Africa. The female was feeding on a fish, but all of a sudden she seemed to get excited. Yes you've guessed it, her mate blue 33 had arrived back from Africa and they both flew to the nest.

I took some video of the pair for you to enjoy...


It was nice to see the male and female Ospreys had both returned to Manton Bay, Rutland Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment