Thursday 2 July 2015

More Urban Gulls

Yesterday I had to go to an industrial estate in Northampton and you guessed it, I found another group of breeding gulls. Not quite as many as on the Old British Shoe works in Leicester, but still a good record. Both Herring and Lesser Black-backed Gulls are nesting there. I spoke to the company and although they didn't throw me out they were not helpful as far as allowing access to ring the chicks is concerned. The boss had instructed a staff member to get rid of the gulls. Apparently because they occasionally leave a mess on his car occasionally. It is a real shame that so many people want to destroy anything that inconveniences them slightly.

Herring Gulls Keeping Watch From a Nearby Building (free advertising)

I have also made a return visit to the old British Shoe works in Leicester this week and there is a great deal of activity there, as some of the chicks are quite mature now. I saw one fly along the road about a metre above the tarmac. It managed to clear the wall and disappeared into the works. 

I am concerned that the demolition of the site will start before all the gulls fledge, as I've been told the contractors arrive next week. I'll keep my eye on things and see how it goes.

The photo below is of a young Herring Gull. I know this because I saw its parents feed it.

Herring Gull Chick, Sunningdale Business Park, Leicester
On the Look Out














No comments:

Post a Comment