Tuesday 20 January 2015

Glaucous Gull

I took a sneaky half day off from work this afternoon, as I had a hunch it was going to be good at Shawell. It turned out even better than I expected as the largest lagoon was partially frozen and most of the gulls were resting on the ice. I managed to get myself in position without flushing the gulls as they were very close to the side I was viewing from. With lots of legs on show it was inevitable that I would see a few colour rings, but it was white-wingers I was really after. It didn't take long for one to appear - a frosty looking Glaucous Gull - get in there! I have aged it as a second-winter, as it lacks any sign of adult like grey on the mantle and the underwings still have brown on them.

Second-winter Glaucous Gull





No comments:

Post a Comment