Thursday 9 October 2014

Red-veined Darters

Ever since Adey Baker and I found some Red-veined Darters at Huncote, I have been fascinated by them. I have seen them in large numbers in Spain before, but nothing had prepared me for the numbers I was to see in the south-west of Portugal last week. Dawn commented that it's a good job they don't bite. There must have been millions of them. What's really interesting is how they survive in such massive numbers in an area that is so dry and lacking in open water? At one cliff top location there was some very shallow surface water and swarms of RVD's were there and most of the males and females were coupled up.


Male Red-veined Darter
Female Red-veined Darter
Male Red-veined Darter
Male Red-veined Darter
Female Red-veined Darter





No comments:

Post a Comment