Monday 20 October 2014

Caspian Gull Influx?

I'm not sure if there's been a noticeable influx of Caspian Gulls at other sites, but I've certainly had my fair share at Shawell A5 Lagoons this weekend.  After seeing three yesterday I popped back this afternoon and found another trying to hide amongst some adult Herring Gulls. I have aged it as a third-winter due to it being too advanced in its journey towards adulthood for it to be a second-winter. That said, it hasn't replaced all of its tertials and coverts with adult like feathers, so it might be a very advanced second-winter.

Third-winter Caspian Gull

This one is quite a beast with an impressive bill - probably a male. The gull to its right in the image above is a Great Black-backed Gull. 

Third-winter Caspian Gull 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Carl, you might be right about the influx? I had an Adult Caspian Gull drop into Wanlip Meadows LRWT briefly just before dusk last Tuesday. Got some record shots and video of the bird just to kept the records committee happy!

    ReplyDelete