Saturday 11 May 2013

A Surprise Redstart

This afternoon I was sitting in my car eating sandwiches when I heard a bird singing in the Hawthorn hedge at my side. The song was unfamiliar, but the contact call sounded similar to that of a Chiffchaff though louder. The bird stopped calling and I almost forgot about it whilst I was eating. All of a sudden a male Redstart appeared on the gate right in front of my windscreen. What an absolute stonker and all the more exciting as I wasn't expecting a singing Redstart in a hedge near Shawell today.

Male Redstart, Near Shawell
Male Redstart, Near Shawell
As well as the Redstart, I also found at least three fox cubs out playing during daylight hours. The light was poor but I did manage to get some decent record shots.

Fox Cub
Fox Cub
Fox Cub

1 comment:

  1. What a cracking bird, I don't think I ever saw one in Leicestershire when I lived down there - pretty scarce from what I can remember?...

    ReplyDelete