Monday 20 May 2013

Great Crested Grebes and Butterflies

Yesterday was quite eventful, I started the day in the west of Leicestershire looking for Corn Buntings and then went to Warwickshire with Adey to look for Green Hairstreaks and skippers. I was successful with all but the Dingy and Grizzled Skippers. 

Whilst searching for the Corn Buntings, I came across a Wheatear  feeding in a field near Norton-Juxta-Twycross. It's fairly late for migrant Wheatears in the county, so it was a pleasant surprise.

The bright morning sunshine had worked its magic as far as Green Hairstreaks where concerned, but the heavy rain  a few days before had finished off the skippers. 

Green Hairstreak

In the afternoon I went to Brascote Pits where a pair of Great Crested Grebes put on a show. I saw them coming my way and so I kept low and watched them come closer and closer - I seemed to be invisible to them.


Great Crested Grebes




1 comment:

  1. nice set of "Sharp" pictures Carl. obviously not taken with a piece of Canon "Glass" lol

    ReplyDelete