Monday 31 December 2012

Got Any Gull

Gulls are a no go area for most law abiding birders - I have tried really hard to resist the temptation honest. As a young impressionable youth I knew no better and was lured into participating in the occasional gull roost. Luckily I managed to ween myself of it.

This nasty habit resurfaced when I heard whispers of a new gull species. It was supposedly a gull for hardened watchers not one for the occasional observer. Information was scant at the time, but I did manage to do a few Caspians. I quickly realised that this would lead to a decent towards the dark side.

After that I restricted myself to easier stuff like Ivory, Laughing and Mediterranean's. Disaster happened though when the lure of a Kumlien's was just too much - I just had to try it. Luckily it wasn't addictive and once again I got myself cleaned up and away from all that rubbish.

I was obviously at a low point in January this year as I found myself lured back to the landfill site. I hoped that even after finding an Iceland Gull that I could still be saved. However, a visit to the seedier side of Peterhead in Scotland saw my ruination.
Got Any Gull?

The Hard Stuff


Things turned even nastier when I got involved with a ring reader. At first I just helped out but then I just had to read some of my own. I wasn't satisfied with the locals, I had to find ones of a more exotic origin. So far I have managed to read 67 different rings, but I need to do more.


Look Away Now - 9VH LBB Gull Ringed Glos 2004
My highlights for 2012: include at least 20 Icelands Gulls (five at Shawell), 17 Caspian Gulls (16 self found), well over 100 Yellow-legged Gulls, quite a few Med Gulls and three or four Glaucous Gulls including a 1st-winter at Shawell Landfill the other day.

Glaucous Gull, Peterhead February 2012


I even tried some flight shots, but they are not easy when I'm skulking about in the hedge at Shawell.

Herring Gull

For more pictures of colour ringed gulls visit Guernsey Gulls


Happy New Year to You All

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your gull escapades in 2013 Carl, just don't ask me for any help with ID - I don't do gulls and just look the other way whenever I see one. Happy New Year to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking away is probably the best thing to do - Happy New Year to you and yours as well.
    Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Shots Carl!.. and Happy New Year and welcome to the dark side with the Gulls!

    ReplyDelete