Saturday 13 October 2012

Reindeer for Lunch Anyone

A family walk into the Cairngorms ended up with a surprise guest for lunch. As we settled down on a rock to enjoy our sandwiches we spotted a group of Reindeer higher up on the mountainside. It wasn't long before they started towards us and much to our surprise they were soon all around us. 



Rising from my rocky perch I started to take photographs, but all of a sudden there was a bit of a commotion behind me. I turned to see what was happening and was amazed to see one of the Reindeer had its head in my rucksack. Sadly instead of taking a photo, I rushed over and gave its arse a good shove. This removed its head from my rucksack, but complete with one of my cheese sandwiches.

Sam Facing Down the Cheese Sandwich Theif
Mother and Calf
Reindeer were re-introduced into Scotland in 1952 by a Swedish Reindeer Herder, Mikel Utsi. Starting from a few reindeer, the herd has grown in numbers over the years and is currently held at between 130 and 150 by controlling breeding. They were introduced from a population of Norwegian ' Mountain Reindeer', so the Cairngorms are close to their natural environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment